How to apply for a home?

​To learn about how to apply for a home, follow this link to the Housing Executive page:

In case the above link doesn’t work,  please find below the content.

The Housing Executive and registered housing associations provide social rented housing in Northern Ireland. Together we are known as social landlords. Each landlord is an independent organisation and can offer different services. All social landlords aim to provide good quality, affordable housing to people in housing need.

Applying for a home with NIHE

The Housing Executive need to make sure that you are eligible for social rented housing. The will try to make the application process as straightforward as possible. You can also apply for sheltered housing or specialist accommodation. These may offer extra support for their tenants. If you are thinking about applying for social housing you can call into your local office, call us on 03448 920900, or apply online.

You can also apply using an application form which you can get from your local Housing Executive or registered housing association office. You use the same form for all social landlords. If you apply for social housing online or via an application form we will let you know when we have received your application.

Do you have a disability?

There is useful advice on the process of finding a home in our leaflet ‘Advice for People with Disabilities on Finding a Home’ (PDF 206 kB)

Download: Disability Tenant Manual

Are you a young person?
Go to our help and advice for younger people section visit

Are you deaf, hearing or speech impaired?

Next Generation Text is available for use on standard telephone systems. Please visit

Is English not your first language?

Visit and

  • Click the ‘Translate’ link at the top of any page to view the page in another language – Polish, Lithuanian, Czech and Chinese are all available
  • Language support is also available if you do not speak English as a first language. The telephone based interpretation service ‘The Big Word’ is available throughout our local offices, and we can provide face-to-face interpreters if required.

What happens next?

When you contact us to apply for social housing we will arrange to carry an assessment of your housing needs in a way that best suits you where possible. We can do this in your local office, during a home visit or, if necessary, over the telephone. However, depending on your circumstances, a home visit may be better to ensure that your housing needs are fully assessed.

Once we have determined your housing need using the Housing Selection Scheme we will place you on the waiting list. We will also provide you with advice as to your areas of choice. If you prefer a particular registered housing association you may receive a follow-up visit from them.

Applying for a transfer

If you are a Housing Executive or a registered housing association tenant in Northern Ireland and you want to move to another social rented home in Northern Ireland, you need to complete the housing/transfer application form. Return it to the nearest office of your landlord.

Your landlord will visit you to carry out a needs assessment and determine if you are eligible for a transfer. If you are eligible, you will be placed on the waiting list for your areas and landlords of choice.

Applying from within Northern Ireland?

Call NIHE on 03448 920 900 to make your application. NIHE will make an appointment for you to be visited. However, if you are a housing association tenant wishing to transfer then you should still contact your housing association.

If you are applying for housing and you are currently living in Northern Ireland, you can download the housing/transfer application form (below). You can also use this form if you want to apply for sheltered housing or specialist accommodation where extra support is available. You can also get a form from your local Housing Executive or housing association office.

Download: Housing Application/Transfer Application Form

Please contact your Housing Officer for specific advice on making a transfer application or swapping your home.

Applying from outside Northern Ireland?

NIHE welcomes applications from people living outside Northern Ireland. Your eligibility for housing in Northern Ireland and your housing needs will be assessed in the same way as any other applicant. However, as NIHE cannot carry out a visit, you will need to complete a self -assessment form.

Download: Housing Application/Self Assessment Form (from outside NI)

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search