The right to repair scheme ensures that emergency or urgent repairs costing under £250 are completed quickly.

Tenants will qualify for compensation where a contractor fails to complete qualifying repairs within a reasonable time, usually twice the stated response time of the qualifying repair. Advice on qualifying repairs can be obtained by contacting the Office.

When you report as repair you will be given a date when this repair must be completed. If the work is not completed by this date contact the Association’s office.

You will be given a new date when this work must be completed by:

  • 24 Hours for an emergency repairs
  • 4 days for an urgent repair

Some examples of qualifying repairs include:

  • Total loss of electric
  • Leaking roof
  • Insecure external windows or doors
  • Block foul drain when no other WC is in the dwelling (if blockage is within property boundary)

Compensation will normally be restricted to £10 for the first day or part thereof that the qualifying repair remains outstanding and £2 for each subsequent day up to a maximum of £50.

The “Right to Repair” will not normally apply where:

  • the tenant has not granted reasonable access for a qualifying repair to be inspected by staff or attended to by the contractor
  • A tenant advises the Association that the qualifying repair is no longer required
  • The tenant has failed to comply with their obligations under the tenancy agreement, for example their actions causing
  • A pipe or drain to be blocked
  • The repair is of a routine nature
  • The delay is not the Association’s fault such as in extreme weather or a lack of parts

Can a tenant carry out the repairs and then charge the Association?

You cannot normally carry out or engage your own contractor to carry out repairs and then send the bill to the Association. You are also strongly advised not to withhold rent payments if you are dissatisfied with repairs not completed or the standard of the work. Failure to pay your rent could lead to court action to regain possession of the property.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search