For over four decades, Newington Housing Association has operated in the North Belfast area providing high quality homes for families, the elderly, single adults and – with the De Paul Ireland it jointly manages a homeless family hostel facility.
Newington was created in 1975, principally in response to the troubles in the Limestone Road area and it has worked vigorously to transform and redevelop this interface area for the benefit of all communities. As times have changed so too has Newington, broadening its role from simply meeting immediate housing need, to meeting wider community need and taking brave steps towards transforming and regenerating communities and resolving interface issues.
The organisation is making a unique contribution to some of the most complex societal divisions and, in doing so, setting a new benchmark for how housing associations can support and encourage tenants and communities to get behind the push for a more peaceful society. In April 2015, Newington Housing Association became part of the Apex Housing Group, led by Apex Housing Association. Newington HA will still retain its independence as a separate Registered Housing Association and be governed by its own Board of Management.
Newington currently manages 721 homes in North Belfast and through our formal strategic partnership with Apex Housing Association we have delivered nearly 350 additional homes throughout North Belfast over the past six years.
Working to build communities by providing quality affordable housing.
- Community – Our focus is on the community’s needs. To promote inclusion and build sustainable relationships within the local community.
- Quality – To provide high quality, affordable local housing and to maintain all properties to the highest standards.
- Accountable – To operate in an open and transparent environment, through best practice management, effective governance and the adoption of the highest standard of accountability and probity.
- Value For Money – To develop a culture of best value through strong financial management and partnering while maintaining the highest standards of service and quality.
- Professionalism – To promote staff and Board member development and training. To adopt best management practice standards and create an environment of equality, respect and self esteem.